History behind The Post Office Cafe in Hurstbridge
The Hurstbridge Post Office Cafe building was originally built in 1918 for Robert Harris who was the owner, editor and printer of the Evelyn Observer. It was the second office of that influential newspaper, the first being in Kangaroo Creek Ground.
The building continued to be occupied by the printers G. Armstrong and then later Decimus Matt until 1932, when it was converted for use as a Post Office and the residence was added. Mrs May Gilliesford was the area's first Post Mistress.
The heritage-listed Post Office Cafe is number 12 on the Hurstbridge Heritage Trail. Follow the trail with information at http://www.hurstbridgevillage.com.au/.
Brothers Fab and Adrian Aparo purchased the Cafe together in 2006, after long careers in cafes and restaurants across Melbourne. Together with their families they have built the cafe into a warm family meeting place for the entire community.